window.dataLayer = window.dataLayer || []; function gtag(){dataLayer.push(arguments);} gtag('js', new Date());gtag('config', 'G-4J7CECC45W');Hollingbourne Work House | Hollingbourne Parish Council
Skip to main content

The Work House in Hollingbourne

The Hollingbourne (Frequently spelt Hollingbourn in older documents) poor Law Union officially came into existence on 12th October 1835. Its operation was overseen by an elected board of guardians.

Built in 1836, the Hollingbourne Union Workhouse stood on the Maidstone to Ashford Road. The Poor Law Commissioners authorised an expenditure of £5000 on the building which was to accommodate up to 300 inmates.

It had an H-shaped layout with an entrance block facing to the south which would probably have contained the board room, porters room and master’s quarters at the centre. Inmates’ accommodation was located to each side and in the ranges to the rear. The workhouse location and layout are shown on the 1895 map.

The Workhouse closed in around 1921 and the buildings demolished with the exception of the 1895 mortuary which still stands in the grounds of the property, now known as White Heath.